About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Theater Manifesto

Theater is a generous act.

We go to the theater to fall in love. We fall in love with the play, fall in love with the work, fall in love with the company.

It is important to respect commitment over talent. I can work with commitment. Talent without commitment quickly becomes destructive and a drain on the ensemble.

Plays are not perfect entities, they are flawed, the actors are flawed, the audience is flawed, or late, or coughing, or who knows what. And still, we make theater.

The progeny of American Realism is film, not theater. Current dramaturgy owes more the the American Musical Form than the American Realists.

Theater is a house of magnificence and eloquence and joyful giving.

No comments: