About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Trouble wit bullying piece

I've been working with a group of middle school kids for about 6 weeks from a group called Bully Busters. I was asked to help them create some material for a performance piece addressing bullying issues in their school in order to raise awareness.

Up until last week I thought we were doing some pretty cool work. The kids have been writing some interesting material, and at last we had enough to begin rehearsing!

But then -- hardly any of the students want to actually perform the work.

Heartbreak!

Now I'm getting word that they are "annoyed" with the writing exercise we do for 10 minutes at the beginning of each session.

I was brought in because the kids had asked to do theater. They wanted to write it and perform it. They've written it! I've assembled it! And now it's like dragging a hippo out of the mud trying to get the performance.

I was stunned.

On top of that, they started laughing at each other while we trying to rehearse. I got a bit cranky about that. I always insist on a supportive ensemble, but maybe I got too cranky.

I don't know. I'm at a loss. This might just be something we have to toss the towel in on.

Perhaps at the next session we'll just perform the materials for each other, and that will be that.

That way they can see and hear the stuff they've created.

No comments: