About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Advanced Playwriting


I got into Advanced Playwriting @ Brown, being taughts by Bonnie Metzgar. She is a sorta rock-star-vibe kinda presence. When I found out that she was teaching the course I really wanted to be sure I didn't miss out on the chance to study with her. She's got us reading and talking about some interesting and diverse work.

We started off with The Pillowman. What a trippy play-world that is. What a start to our work. Last week we read THE ADDING MACHINE, and this week we're reading DANUBE by Maria Irene Fornes.

We're also writing each week -- each day -- on one play. We will be turning in a full-length play in November. Each class we bring in ten or so new pages in addition to whatever previous weeks has produced.

I'm working on my ARIADNE AND THE ISLAND play idea. I'm taking a chance, because it could easily be dull. There's no fun stuff, no manic energy, nothing falls out of the sky... it's just four characters that have to hunker down and have compelling reasons to talk rather than kill each other.

It's the hunker-down-edness of the venture that scares me. But becuase it scares me, I thought this might be the right place to try it.

Time. Will tell. Eh?

No comments: