About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Amazon plays @ Brown


So.

2 weekends ago.

I saw some incredible readings of new plays. Not ordinary plays, mind you. These were Bake-off plays.

They were modeled on Hippolyta/Hercules/Wonder Woman myth/legend/comic.

They were awesome.

Especially amazing (get it -- "amazing") was my buddy Greg's play. Not just cuz he's my buddy, but because his play took the perameters of the exercise and delivered a story that spoke to my soul. It was wierd, and a little perverse, and it made me fall in love with it. He called it THE AMAZON. It wa a story within a story structure. It made me view man vs woman dynamics in a whole new way.

Bake-offs are amazing (get it -- amazing). All of the plays had interesting, engaging styles and huge energy.

All of them wound up funny -- and yet -- all of them found a way to get into my heart and squeeze.

Bake-offs rule! The Brown MFA playwriting program rules! Woo-hoo!

You gotta check out these pays some day.

No comments: