About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Cherry Orchard @ Trinity Rep


Emily Young as Anya, and Phyllis Kay as Lovey

This past Saturday I took in THE CHERRY ORCHARD @ The Trinity Repertory Company in Providence. I had a very good time.

This production has a lotta punch and wit about it. The new translation by TRC's Arististic Director Curt Columbus is lean and bright, and lets the pathos move through it like a deep vien of ore that is mined by the observer rather than plodded through.

This one hundred-year-old-plus play sparkled with relevance as Lovey, played by Phyllis Kay, and her family struggle against future change, choosing instead to pretend that all will be well in the end. Of course, in this Russian landscape, we know that all will not be right. Through history's lense we know truths that the playwright did not, and yet, the play is full of prescience. This production made me feel like I ws sitting in the mind of Chekhov, a witness to Russia slipping away, like seeing through his eyes and saying, "Look! Look!".

I also saw a mirror, revealing us, America, pretending that there will always be enough oil to run our SUVs and the environment will right itself and and and... the list goes on.

The cast is a great ensemble, a mix of company actors and Brown/Trinity students. It works.

Also, the design of the show hums. It is fluid space, with just enough concrete textures, like door frames and benches to keep us grounded, but enough air to remind us of the expansiveness of the house, of the landscape, of Russia herself.

I highly recommend seeing this Cherry Orchard. It's a good night of theater that will stick with you. It's worth the trip.
_______________________________

Anton Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard opens the Trinity Rep’s 43rd season. The brand new translation is by Artistic Director Curt Columbus, who also directs. The show is playing now through October 22nd in the intimate Dowling Theater.

“Privilege, politics and family collide in the Russian master's final work. The household is simmering with anticipation with Lovey's return to her Russian country home after five years away in Paris. She must face what the others know all too well: The money's spent. All that remains is the cherry orchard.”

Tickets are on sale now at the Trinity Rep Box Office at 201 Washington Street, by phone at (401) 351-4242, and online at TrinityRep.com.

No comments: