About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Actually...


Part of my course of study at Brown includes cognitive science. Why is a playwright studying cog-sci? To prove scientifically why theater is an essential part of a growing human brain.

An active theater has been a component of all great societal movements.

I intend to prove why -- with dazzling science.

1 comment:

Edward O'Neill said...

Actually, cognitive science is just the newest version of transcendental philosophizing.

It's a way of saying, 'this is really true, because it's in the BRAIN.'

The old version was: 'this is true because this is the way KNOWLEDGE is (we know, cuz we done reflected on ourselves).'

It's just a justification. A way of grounding knowledge.

Anything other than take responsibility for it or allow it to be relative to contemporary standards and values!

We want everything to be relative--unless it's science, in which case it's true, true, TRUE.

--E. R. O'Neill