About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Wendy Wasserstein Fund for Open Submissions @ O'Neill Theater Center


After the opening play last Thursday at The O'Neill National Playwrights Conference I took a few minutes to thumb through my program. I found a blue slip of paper that announced the Wendy Wasserstein Fund for Open Submissions.

"Wendy Wasserstein was a loyal friend of the O'Neill throughout her distinguished career, from her earliest work as an assistant to Lloyd Richards, and as a mentor to other writers long after her first produced play, Uncommon Women and Others, was developed at the O'Neill in 1977. She was a passionate advocate for the O'Neill's OPEN SUBMISSIONS program and the opportunities it presents for emerging writers who can benefit from the O'Neill's resources at pivotal times in their careers, just as she did."

This fund is an endowment that will ensure the OPEN SUBMISSIONS program in perpetuity. Income from the fund will be used for operational costs of the Open Submissions program.

While I don't have a lot of money to give to this fund myself, I do intend to have a donation can dedicated to collecting donations for this cause whenever one of plays is going up or my production company producess a workshop. I am also going to see if local community groups and theaters will put out donation cans as well.

If you would like to make a contribution, or make a local collection toward this endowment, send it to:

The Wendy Wasserstein Fund for Open Submissions
O'Neill Theater Center
305 Great Neck Road
Waterford, CT 06385
USA

For more information call 860.443.5378
or visit the website http://www.theoneill.org

No comments: