About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lonely playwright


At a dinnertime talk a few years ago at the O'Neill Theater Center, Romulus Linney spoke to the assembled playwrights. It was casual, all of us sitting in a circle with our plates on our laps. He was sharing a lifetime of wisdom about the career of a playwright, and one of the most remarkable things I recall was him stating, "A playwright in residence at a regional theater is about the loneliest person in America." As I'm sitting typing this in a lovely apartment provided by a regional theater where I eat my meals alone, watching the local news, I know that Mr. Linney was speaking true.

No comments: