About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Started the New Year in rehearsal

"UNDERWEAR!" We've all been there as a kid on Christmas. Laura Natusch, Andreas Halidis, and Nathan Pupillo


With Christmas just two days behind us, I and six actors began rehearsals for NAUGHTY - a dark as coal new comedy by Michael R. McGuire about a string of bad Christmasses spanning four decades with me at the helm as director and co-producer.  Two weeks and two days later we put the play up in the pub at The O'Neill Theater Center in Waterford.  It was an amazing, rigorous whirlwind that resulted in a sold-out 4 performance run.

Whoo.  It was exhausting and invigorating all at the same time.

Santa drinks for free. Andreas Halidis and Jacob Kaeser
Because we are not a theater company per se, we had to do things the simple way.  The playwright made the copies of the script on his printer, we rehearsed in my basement, and the actors provided much of their own costumes.  We got a break on the cost of the space from The O'Neill, but had to sink several hundred bucks into insurance which we arranged with the help of Fractured Atlas.
Christmas bell ringers and a giant old cell-phone = comedy gold. Felia Williams and Nathan Pupillo

We rehearsed 4 hours a day, 6 days a week.  In the end we made enough money to give some to the actors and the crew.  That was cool.  We are planning the rest of 2012 - and hope to be pulling together at least two more workshop productions like this one, and a whole bunch of readings of new work.

Santa as therapist. Nathan Pupillo and Jacob Kaeser
Here's to making more art happen in 2012!

No comments: