About Me

My photo

I dig jazz and single-malt scotch.  I write plays; I direct them too. I love STAR WARS more than is healthy. I walk my dogs every day, unless it's raining or terribly cold.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Bloated Plot Spoiled

Last night I watched the movie THE ISLAND about the beautiful clones with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson.

I had read that the first hour was really good, and then it devolves into a illy chase thriller action movie. That is absolutely true. So I watched the silly-chase-thriller parts at triple speed, only stopping when Doctor Exposition (played by Sean Bean - am I giving ANYTHING away by saying he dies?) would speak. I was able to follow the plot, accelerate thru 30-minutes of mind-numbing car and street and copter chases, stop for the McGregor on McGregor car chase, get it all done in an hour and three-quarters instead of the 136 running time, enjoyed it, and didn't miss a single plot point.

I kept thinking, "Man, with a lot less budget this could've been an interesting movie."

That's probably how I'm gonna watch the new Superman on bluray in a couple of months. Same thing when I rewatch THE HOBBIT someday. With a thumb on the Fast Forward button.

No comments: